Have you previously sought sanctuary in the UK? Could you co-produce and facilitate a life skills programme for those who have recently arrived in the UK seeking sanctuary?
We are looking for someone who can volunteer for half a day per week Monday- Friday and is able to give their time for 6 months.
Volunteering will take place from home until further notice and you will need access to a smartphone of laptop. If you need support with this just let us know. If would be helpful is you speak Kurdish Sorani, Tigrinya, Amharic, Farsi or Sudanese Arabic but this isn't essential.
As a Peer Educator Volunteer, you will work as part of a team to co-produce and facilitate a series of life skills education programmes for newly arrived refugees. You will use your shared lived experience and knowledge to help those newly arrived adjust to life in a new country, offering valuable support and advice to ease the process.
You would be working as part of the Family Reunion Integration Service. Family Reunion is a key legal route through which refugees obtain protection in the UK, and this project is the UK's first national programme providing holistic integration support for reunited families. You can find out more about this service here http://bit.ly/2ux9Zm6
Typical tasks include:
- Sharing insight you have gained from being a refugee, asylum seeker or reunited family member to help co-produce and facilitate a series of life-skills education programmes for newly arrived refugees
- Providing cultural orientation information, advice and signposting
- Providing information regarding people's rights and entitlements in the UK
- Providing language learning support
- Collating resources or providing other administrative tasks
- Identifying and responding appropriately to safeguarding and protection issues with vulnerable clients, including children and vulnerable adults