We’re looking for volunteers to support the Visitor Experience Team to provide a warm welcome and an enjoyable visit to the museum for all our visitors. We aim to inspire people to get involved, be creative and connect with their city, and the Visitor Experience Team is front and centre of this approach to visitor care and participation.
What will you be doing?
You will be supporting our staff team to:
• Provide an excellent welcome to all visitors to our sites. This involves meeting and greeting visitors and ensuring everyone has an enjoyable and safe time.
• Help to orientate and assist visitors who might need wayfinding, support or guidance during their visit.
• Promote the work of Sheffield Museums and our charitable status; encouraging visitor donations.
There may also be opportunities to:
• Promote events and activities taking place on-site, for example, Talks, Tours, Family Activities.
• Engage with visitors to encourage them to take part in simple craft activities and preparing resources for the activities. These may run during school holidays only.
• Encourage participation in museum trails. This involves promoting the seasonal trails by directing family visitors to these. This may involve dressing-up if you wish (for example, Santa hats at Christmas time), and also involves encouraging donations to cover the cost of trails and handing out prizes for completed trails. Trails are still in development at some sites.
• Help with activities like visitor surveys and object handling (when they resume)
*After you have clicked ‘Register Your Interest’, you will receive an email with the next steps of your volunteering application for this role - follow this guidance*
For more information about us, look at our website http://www.museums-sheffield.org.uk and social media: Facebook @SheffieldMuseums // Twitter @SheffMuseums
Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet: Saturdays, 10am-12noon and 1-3pm; Sundays, 11am-1pm and 2-4pm in term time. During school holidays, Thursday to Saturday, 10am-12noon and 1-3pm; Sundays 11am-1pm and 2-4pm.
Kelham Island Museum: Tuesday to Friday, 10am-12noon and 1-3pm; Sundays, 1-3pm.
Weston Park Museum: Tuesday to Sunday, 10.45am – 1pm in term time, and 10.45am-1pm and 12.45pm – 3pm during school holidays.
What skills do I need?
• Able to confidently approach and chat to visitors
• Be well presented
• Be confident to represent Sheffield Museums
• To have an interest in our sites and our work
What will I gain?
• An opportunity to be involved in the work of the Visitor Experience Team at Sheffield Museums
• Spend time with like-minded people in the dynamic and vibrant cultural & heritage sites, alongside staff and other volunteers
• Learn more about & helping to directly support Sheffield Museums’ charitable work
• Develop your communication & customer service skills
• Access a range of social & networking opportunities
• Relevant training opportunities
• Claim back out-of-pocket travel expenses up to £5 per day (for public transport, or 45p per mile if driving a car)
Training and support
Volunteer induction and application process.
1 hour volunteer induction
2 hours training session
Supported sessions to introduce you into the Visitor Experience team, over several weeks
Volunteering opportunities are available at various times according to museum site opening times.
Weekdays and/or weekends.
Volunteer sessions usually last around 2 hours each time.
DBS (criminal records) check
Weston Park Museum S10 2TP
or Kelham Island Museum S3 8SA
or Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet S7 2QW
Weston Park Museum: 5 mins walk from Sheffield University SU.
Kelham Island Museum: 20 mins walk from SU, near Shalesmoor tramstop.
Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet: in Millhouses, south of the city (accessible by bus).
You can claim back out-of-pocket travel expenses up to a max of £5 per day.
- CausesArts and culture, Museums and heritage
- FrequencyEvery week
- WhenTuesday morning, Tuesday afternoon, Wednesday morning, Wednesday afternoon, Thursday morning, Thursday afternoon, Friday morning, Friday afternoon, Saturday morning, Saturday afternoon, Sunday morning, Sunday afternoon
- Skills and InterestsCommunication skills, Events and stewarding, Teamwork
- Careers and AspirationsArts, culture and heritage, Third sector and charity work