Visitor Research Volunteer Role
Purpose of the role:
We're looking for volunteers who can give just a couple of hours of time, whenever is convenient for you, to ask visitor questionnaires across our sites. Visitor Research volunteers support our work by gathering feedback from our visitors which help us learn more about their experience and how we can improve it. This information is invaluable in helping Museums Sheffield understand who is visiting our sites and what motivates them to visit. Thanks to Visitor Research volunteers, Museums Sheffield is able to continue to improve and develop its visitor experience, as well as its programme of exhibitions and events, to ensure it is providing the best possible museum and gallery service for the people of Sheffield and visitors to the city alike.
What will you be doing?
• Engaging visitors to complete our Audience Finder questionnaire, a short app-based survey conducted on an I pad tablet (full training given on the use of the tablet). Questions focus around simple demographic information, people’s motivation for visiting our sites and the quality of their visit
• Where appropriate, signposting visitors to information on Museums Sheffield’s exhibitions, events and wider programme
• Assist visitors in subscribing to Museums Sheffield mailing list should they wish to
• Use existing communications methods (i.e. Museums Sheffield comment cards) to pass any visitor queries to the relevant Museums Sheffield staff
Contact us to express your interest in this role at email@example.com. Please email us 150 - 200 words about why you would be right for this exciting opportunity.
What skills do I need?
• Ability to communicate face-to-face in an effective and friendly manner, including good spoken English
• Outgoing, approachable and helpful
• Enjoy communicating with our visitors in a relaxed and informal way
• Reliable and trustworthy
What will I gain?
• Gain practical market research experience whilst developing an insight into museum & gallery visitors
• Develop your communication, research, customer service & organisational skills
• Spending time in the diverse exhibition spaces at Millennium Gallery, Graves Gallery & Weston Park Museum
• Meeting like-minded people & being a member of an enthusiastic & knowledgeable team
• Learning more about & helping to directly support our charitable work
• Access to a range of social and networking opportunities with other volunteers & staff
Training and support
Training on surveying visitors
1 hour volunteer induction
1.5 hour survey training
2 hour survey sessions at a time to suit you
We ask Visitor Survey volunteers to help for minimum of a single 2 hour shift per week for 6 weeks. Volunteering can be undertaken on any day of the week to suit you.
DBS (criminal records) check
Weston Park Museum, Millennium Gallery, Graves Gallery
Weston Park Museum is less than 5 minutes walk from SUSU. The other sites are in Sheffield city centre accessible in 5 minutes by bus from SUSU