This opportunity takes place until 31 Aug 2021.
We’re looking for enthusiastic people from all backgrounds to volunteer with us. We really value all our fantastic volunteers, and we’ll make sure we give you the training and support you need.
It doesn’t matter whether you can spare a day, a week, or an hour a month – by volunteering you can make a huge difference to someone’s life. Volunteering can also have a positive impact on your own wellbeing by getting you out and about, making friends, and learning new skills.
If you’re looking for work, volunteering looks great on a CV and research has proven that you’re more likely to get a job if you’ve volunteered in the past. Various roles available including Telephone Buddy, Digi Friend, Non-Executive Board member
See our website for more volunteering information with us.
Telephone Buddy Role Description - Help people aged 50 and over stay connected and overcome feelings of isolation by providing regualr telephone chats.
Digi Friend - Support SYHA customers with their devices and getting online, helping to build their confidence with technology.
Non-Executive Board member role - Gain valuable hands-on experience and develop your knowledge of governance in a complex and dynamic social organisation. Six-month opportunity.
What skills do I need?
Varies according to role, but you should have:
- Good people skills
- Willingness to connect with people in the local community
- Ability to make other people feel comfortable and at ease
What will I gain?
Comprehensive volunteer programme
Connect with people in local communities and get to know the real Sheffield
Experience working with people from all walks of life
Make a difference
Personal Development Plan and References (if wished for)
Training and support
Support from volunteer team
Access to full suite of training and classroom courses
DBS (criminal records) check
- CausesLearning disability, Older people, Social isolation
- WhenMonday morning, Monday afternoon, Monday evening, Tuesday morning, Tuesday afternoon, Tuesday evening, Wednesday morning, Wednesday afternoon, Wednesday evening, Thursday morning, Thursday afternoon, Thursday evening, Friday morning, Friday afternoon, Friday evening, Saturday morning, Saturday afternoon, Saturday evening, Sunday morning, Sunday afternoon, Sunday evening
- Skills and InterestsAdvice and information, Communication skills, Enterprise and business skills, Listening, Negotiating, Organising, Teamwork
- Careers and AspirationsPsychology, Social work, Speech and language therapy, Third sector and charity work