The internet and modern technology such as smart phones, tablets and laptops are an integral part of everyday life. More and more daily tasks rely heavily on internet access and the ability to use devices confidently.
Being confident online is more important now than ever, particularly due to Coronavirus, for activities such online shopping, internet banking and keeping in contact with friends and family.
South Yorkshire Housing Association would like to reach out to our customers and help to build their confidence with technology and getting online. As a Digi Friend, you’ll tailor support to your customers depending on their individual needs.
You’ll make initial contact with your referrals over the phone. It’s then time to get creative and provide support, In line with current government Covid-19 guidelines.
The Volunteering Team will be on hand every step of the way to talk to you about what’s possible and work out the best way to support the people you’re working with.
You won’t be out of pocket whilst volunteering with us and we’ll discuss potential expenses when we meet.
Main Tasks and Role Requirements
- Complete South Yorkshire Housing Associations training package for the role
- Support SYHA customers with their devices and online
- Talk to us regularly about how your Digi Friend role is going
- Use our outcome plan form to record how the sessions are going and share feedback with us
What skills do I need?
- Strong people skills – good at talking and listening
- An ability to make people feel comfortable and at ease
- Patient with customers while they learn
- Confident with Android and Apple, and IT literate
- Reliable, organised and able to manage a series of appointments
What will I gain?
- be there to support you throughout your time with us
- provide all the necessary training, so you can volunteer safely
- provide you with a certificate highlighting your involvement with us
- provide written confirmation of the training you’ve done with us if you require
- cover any reasonable expenses you incur whilst volunteering with us
- take you through DBS process and pay for an enhanced check
- You’ll have access to our full suite of online training and classroom courses. If you’re interested in doing a course, we’ll support you with setting up the training
Training and support
You will complete the following training: Relevant parts of SYHA induction, including GDPR, Confidentiality, professional boundaries, safeguarding and good conversations training.
Flexible – we can work around the time you want to give, and when works best for you and our customers. Minimum commitment of 6 months
DBS (criminal records) check
Potentially in-person (in line with current government Covid-19 guidance)