A pleasant Drop-in where the disadvantaged have basic needs met, including: snacks; showers; clothes & laundry but above all FRIENDSHIP. Responsibilities include: respecting all & teamwork. You may: serve drinks/clothes; do the laundry or, quite simply, play games with the bored/listen to the lonely
What skills do I need?
Qualities include empathy for the disadvantaged and reliability re. your shifts.
Listening skills are valuable for this role and an ability to work as part of a team is essential.
No past experience is required.
What will I gain?
1. Learning teamwork
2. Using and developing listening skills
3. Meeting a wide range of local Sheffield people – mainly the disadvantaged
4. Learning about other cultures and backgrounds directly from the people concerned
5. Job satisfaction through making a difference
6. Getting to know a local charity that serves the community
7. Having access to free facilities and services in the Jesus Centre
8. If you have been a reliable volunteer a reference can be provided for employers
Training and support
There is a generic induction that will equip you to start in The Lounge. Further training will be on the job. There may be specialised training available when needed.
We can be flexible to suit your studies, however please make sure you communicate your availability with us clearly.
DBS (criminal records) check
The Sheffield Jesus Centre,
93 Broomspring Lane,
From the University Tram Stop, cross Glossop Road (at the corner with the Sainsbury's Local on it) and head down the Upper Hanover Street dual carriageway. The Jesus Centre is three minutes walk or 250 metres on your right.